stinkyman

5.22.2007

The enemy is Me

Speaking of updates, I'm really fighting with myself over the direction of this damn story. I keep thinking that I've really hosed myself with the 1983 to 2007 flashes, because in my mind all the cool stuff happens between these two points. That itself isn't a problem. The problem is keeping the timeline straight to go back and explore the time between 83 and 07 and balancing that with Strange Cases (which I think is really cool BTW). If the reader knows that the main character is still going strong in 2007, doesn't that take away some of the tension and mystery of the earlier years? Also, the storyline for the first few issues is really the whole thing - the failure to save the little girl is Stinkyman's entire future motivation. If we bring an end to that storyline, then anything else we do seems to lack impact IMO.

In essence, the entire remaining story will be a flashback with the end result already unveiled in Issue No. 6. I really would like to just start in 83 and work our way forward toward the great unknown. But I kinda like the 2007 stuff.

Hrrmm.

(I am consistenly my own worst enemy :-)

1 comment:

j said...

ha. i hadn't thought about the fact that being alive in 2007 ruins the tension of the earlier years.

hrmm.. maybe just play looser with it all and not stick on it...
if these are 'his' files, his recollections, they're bleary and tainted by years of whatever abuses he and others have inflicted upon him... they could all be wrong... even in the 6th grade version, he grappled with thinking he might be crazy half of the time.